Sunday, September 14, 2008

Consolation

I got a speeding ticket yesterday on the way to 810Zone in the Plaza. I guess the only consolation is that I was going to meet my brother to watch the Hawkeyes-Cyclones football game, and the Hawkeyes won.

Today I went to Broadway Cafe and Roastery to work on my poetry manuscript. Yes, an aspiring poet in a coffee shop is a cliche, as is an aspiring poet-blogger talking about a "poetry manuscript." It was, per usual, confusing. I sent the manuscript, in its first official incarnation (although, it had probably lived through at least a dozen different incarnations and/or drafts), to four contests in March. They were all rejected, which is expected and I am oddly not at all disappointed because a few days after sending out the batch for Round 1 I hated the structure, organization, etc. of the manuscript. I was comfortable with the majority of the poems; just not the structure. I am now revising it to resend out: Round 2!!! I expect this to be a very long bout.

By the way, if you like coffee and are ever in KC definitely go to Broadway. Also, if you're ever in SF definitely check out the Bluebottle Coffee Company; they are both exquisite roasteries.

2 comments:

B.J. said...

Seriously, your life can't be so boring that you only have one or two things to talk about a week.

AWP, do we stay downtown, or my place, which is only a short bus/train right away from downtown.

Jonathan Barrett said...

Seriously, I'm trying dude. My life is kind of boring but also busy which makes a difficult to blog everyday when I have to choose between writing and/or reading during my free time and blogging.

That's a hard one. I've thought about staying downtown only because it will be easier to hang out with people attending the conference.