Wednesday, February 4, 2009

2009 Poetry Tournament, Eastern Region Round 2

Here's Round 2 for Group 1 from the Eastern Region bracket:

Joan Houlihan, "Squall Line"
vs.
Jim Daniels, "The Dark Planet"

WINNER: Joan Houlihan, "Squall Line"

* * *

Joshua Beckman, "Lament for the Death of a Bullfighter"
vs.
Anthony McCann, "Father of Noise Ceremony"

WINNER: Joshua Beckman, "Lament for the Death of a Bullfighter" - I think BJ's right: Beckman is going to be hard to beat. His poem is pretty awesome.

* * *

Tomorrow we will move on to Round 2 for Group 2 from the Eastern Region bracket and then we will be down to our final four. The poets competing in Round 2 for Group 2 are:

Nancy Krygowski, "This Loss, Any:"
vs.
A. Loudermilk, "Daring Love"

and

Mark Bibbins, "Just Yesterday"
vs.
Jean-Paul Pecqueur, "Truth"

I can't believe I just used the words "poet" and "competing" in the same sentence because I'm idealistic and don't want to believe poet's would ever compete amongst one another. Of course, my idealism is bull shit because whether poets like to admit it or not they either overtly and secretly compete with each other quite frequently.

I keep referring this poetry tournament thing as the "Eastern Region bracket" because all of these poets were or still are from the east coast: Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, etc. Plus, I like to think of this as my own little private "NCAA-like" tournament only with poetry.

No comments: