Sunday, August 17, 2008

3 Nerds and a Calculator

*
Megan was listening to Pearl Jam's "Love, Reign O'er Me" or "Last Kiss" on the radio. She told me kids Eddie Vedder sounded like a goat and changed the radio station. I love Pearl Jam so her comment was blasphemous but I wasn't in the car. She turned it to a station playing Billy Idol's "White Wedding." My oldest son, Elijah, asked "What is this?" My wife joyously responded: "This is Billy Idol...he's awesome." There was silence; then Elijah added sardonically (and I'm sure he didn't know he was being sardonic) that he would rather listen to 3 nerds sing about calculators then listen to Billy Idol. Wow!!! What an amazing sense of humor!!! My middle son, Gavin, chuckled to himself and repeated "nerds...calculators" and continued chuckling to himself.

*
I'm reading at The Writer's Place tonight...hopefully all goes well. I'm reading some of my new poems, which are a little lighter, and of course some of my heavier "hyper realism" poems as BJ would put it. By the way BJ, if you read this post, I've thought about the question you asked me at AWP often and I believe the answer is absolutely...I would characterize some of my poetry as "hyper realism."

*
Since I haven't posted this week I need to mention that Megan and I celebrated our 11th Anniversary on Friday. We've known each other for 15 years. We went to Genghis Khan for dinner; if you're ever in Kansas City definitely check it out, especially if you're a vegetarian. Afterwards we went to Tropic Thunder at the Cinemark in the Plaza. I thought it was hilarious but also wholeheartedly agree with Megan when she said: "it was so wrong." But nonetheless, we both thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Robert Downey Jr. is very, very funny. Ben Stiller is Ben Stiller.

*
Now is the semi-narcissistic portion of this post. Toot, toot!!! That's me tooting my own horn. I had two poems accepted by Pennsylvania English on Thursday. This might be just what I needed to break out of my slump.

5 comments:

B.J. said...

I read this post...

I thought T.T. was...alright.

If you don't break out of your slump soon, I'm gonna come down there and slap it out of you!

Brandon Jones said...

If B.J. comes down here to "slap it out of you" I want to hang out with you guys.

How did the reading go? I was thinking that I might be able to go, but at the last minute plans were changed. I had to rock the Catholic church.

My first conversation at the back-to-school party transpired like this: "Can I get you a drink?"
"Yeah, will this drink ticket get me a Woodford Reserve?"
"Yep. Would like a double?"
"Yes. Yes, I would."

Jonathan Barrett said...

BJ,

I hope you didn't think that I was implying that you don't read my blog. I was referring to the specific post.

Your welcome to come down here and slap me and I'm sure Brandon would love some slapping.


Brandon,

The reading went well and I had fun. I think my work was well received. I figured you probably wouldn't be able to come because of drumming.

That's great: free Woodford Reserve. That's the best kind of Woodford Reserve.

Brandi said...

Ben Stiller is ALWAYS Ben Stiller! So effing annoying...

Congrats on the pub! :)

Jonathan Barrett said...

Brandi,

Yeah, Ben Stiller pretty much plays the same roll over and over. Thanks for the congrats.