Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Food Eater

I was pondering my "creative conundrum" and figured out the problem: my fascination with NASCAR, Texas Roadhouse, WWE, etc. has morphed me into a mere "food eater." The only things that satisfy me are fast cars, meat, violence, and of course beer. I work only to consume. The literary arts no longer matter to me. Perhaps I should accept the inevitable. Of course this "thought train" is fairly prejudicial and maybe a tad guilty of stereotyping.

I honestly think the longer that I have been writing the less satisfied I am with my poetry. I'm not sure if this is a common experience but I don't think I'm entirely comfortable with my declining satisfaction. And I don't mean comfortable in the sit back, prop my feet up, sip a little single malt, and watch some Battlestar Galactica sense (although that's not all that bad) but in the sense that I'm willing to reconcile the "normal" evolution in any poets (or aspiring poets) creative life: namely that over time they become less and less satisfied with their work and have to make adjustments to their mental paradigms, writing habits, aesthetics, poetics, etc. to compensate for the evolution. Perhaps this is too rigid a view? Perhaps there is no such thing as the "normal evolution of less satisfaction" or perhaps I'm taking myself too seriously.

On a less serious note. First, I went to my office to write this morning. Megan was watching Project Runway and drinking coffee at 7:00 AM. The coffee was normal but Project Runway at 7:00 AM. I didn't write.

Secondly, my mere "food eater" comment reminded me of a story about one of my colleagues at the bank I "food eat" at. A few months ago he and I went out for sushi on pay day Friday: we call it pay day sushi. He told me over sushi that he was using he and his wife's stimulus check to buy his wife new boobs. He was serious. He added that if they got a divorce she would get one and he'd get one because he paid for them. He also added that the fact that he was buying his wife a boob job with their stimulus check gave a new meaning to the phrase stimulus package. I'm serious. She got the boob job. How does one respond especially while eating sushi.

Third, I'm going to be a featured reader at the Main Street Rag reading series which is hosted at The Writer's Place in KC every third Sunday of the month. So, Brandon if your reading this mark August 17th on your calendar. Otherwise...actually Brandon, you might be the only one who reads this blog.

3 comments:

Brandon Jones said...

"Stimulus Package." I'm doing my aloud Beavis and Butthead laugh right now. I will be there on the 17th, albeit a little hung over (Is that one word or two?). Rockhurst is having the "Back-to-School Party" that night at Dave 'n Busters. Free food. Free booze. Lots of eccentric high school teachers. End of story.

P.S. Forget all this "mental paradigm" shit. You just need a break in the routine. Should we go see the Khrusty Brothers play on Friday night? I think we should. The show is at Harrah's. If worse came to worse, would gamble our meager livelyhoods.

B.J. said...

i agree with brandon, you need to stop worrying so much. though, i must say, i was feeling uncreative having only written about 30 poems this year, but jeez, you got it bad.

You're starting to remind me of Jack Spicer, "I am dissatisfied with my poetry/ I am dissatisfied with my sex life/ I am dissatisfied with the angels I believe in"

you should read more jack spicer, and you should also start reading frank stanford, if you haven't already. that guy will make you a writer.

Jonathan Barrett said...

I'm going back to Iowa this weekend or else I would be all over Khrusty Brothers with you. And you know I'd love to gamble. Dave 'n Busters or Chucky Cheese for adults.

BJ, thanks for recommendations regarding Spicer and Stanford. I know you've been hooting and hollering about Stanford on your blog, and of course, you've been talking about Spicer for years. I just need to pick them both up.