Sunday, March 9, 2008

Bourbon Stout

*
Megan and I went to the 75th Street Brewery last night. I had country fried steak with garlic mashed potatoes and garlic green beans: it was superb; although the country fried steak was more “fried” than “steak.” Megan had fish and chips, which she also said was wonderful. I had two pints of American ale and a small glass of imperial bourbon stout which was one of the best, if not the best, stout I’ve ever had. It was smooth with a little hint of bourbon. I drank it a little fast though which contributed to an upset stomach later.

*
I am currently reading or have just finished the following books and journals:

American Spikenard, Sarah Vap
The Green Girls, John Blair
Becoming the Villainess, Jeanine Hall Gailey
Fa(r)ther Down: Songs from the Allergy Trials, Arielle Greenberg
Practice: New Writing + Art
Greatcoat

I highly recommend Practice and Greatcoat. Check them out: they're both new(er).

*
I also had the pleasure of hearing Natasha Tretheway read for the Midwest Poets Series at Rockhurst University this past Thursday. She was very, very friendly after the reading. I very rarely purchase books at readings and even more rarely get them signed. But I picked up Native Guard (paper back of course) and had her sign it. Great reading with a pretty hefty turnout. The only sour note(s): with the flu going around KC there was a constant cacophony of coughs, and of course, a woman sitting behind me forgot to turn her cell phone off so it chirped a few times during the reading.

*

Rejections to date: 721. Is that a lot? I think it's hot!

No comments: