Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Carnivore in the Woods

*
What I’ve been listening to recently while I write in the mornings: Beirut’s The Flying Club Cup. Beirut is great music to wake up to while sipping a cup of crappy coffee.


*
I need to check out Get Him Eat Him.


*
I think we have a coyote or another carnivore in the woods behind our house. We live in what would be classified as an urban part of Kansas City but there’s a small wooded area behind our house. Last night, per my evening routine, I let the dog out and sat on porch with a glass of Aberlour single malt Scotch whisky.

Our Boston terrier, Hawkeye (named in honor of the Iowa Hawkeye’s and our beloved Hawkeye state), flipped out: he ran to the back fence and an animal ran back and forth on the other side of the fence. So, of course he chased it but it was about 2 times the size of Hawkeye. I got him inside as quickly as possible because he’s mentally challenged and wouldn’t stand a chance against a larger animal.

Once he was inside I heard an eruption of cat-like screeches, hisses, grunting, clawing, and crying emanating from the woods. It sounded like an “all-out-alley-cat-war” but far more brutal. It went on for approximately a minute or so before the crying sound got louder and louder. It sounded like a wounded animal. Then there was another round of screeches, hisses, grunting, and crying followed by silence. Two or three minutes passed before the silence was broken by the sound of an animal chewing, chomping, biting, etc. It sounded like it was gnawing on bone and tearing flesh. It was like Animal Planet in my backyard. Megan said I should go check it out. I didn’t because I’m a coward. She said she’s adventurous and brave, and I’m a wimp. I drank more whisky.


*
I work in a bank building next door to a Planned Parenthood: the same Planned Parenthood that has monthly visits from the local media because of Johnson County District Attorney (a rabid-right-to-lifer) Phill Kline’s attempt to bring charges of illegal late term abortions, among other charges, against the Overland Park Planned Parenthood. The sidewalks in front of the Planned Parenthood are frequently filled by local church groups, Christians, etc. They pray…mostly. And a few wear red tap Xed across their mouth as a symbol of protest. I can only imagine it represents to voiceless aborted and perhaps the red stands for innocent blood…I’m really not sure.


I consider myself a Christian. I attend church almost every Sunday. I was raised in an Evangelical Charismatic church. I even worked full time as a youth pastor for 5 years from age 21-26. So, I understand “why” they are praying and protesting. What I don’t understand is how they can reconcile their actions with Jesus’ instructions on how Christians ought to pray in Matthew 6:5-8, which states: "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

I realize there’s context involved in any exegesis of a biblical text. But there are biblical principles that can be ascertained as an explanation for how Christians or follower’s of Jesus should behave morally, ethically, religiously, etc.

I don’t mean to imply that they don’t have the right to stand against abortion because it is their right to speak freely. But when one reflects on Matthew 6:5-8 and then watches their very public prayer that quite literally takes place on a street corner I can’t help but wonder how they can their public prayer with Jesus’ admonishment to prayer in secret to avoid showy expressions of “charity” and “prayer.”


*
William D. Waltz’s Zoo Music from Slope Editions came in the mail today. I’m going to read it as soon as I’m finished with Jason Bredle’s Standing In Line For the Beast and Sarah Vap’s American Spikenard.


No comments: