Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The AWP Itch

I'm getting the AWP itch. I haven't had much time to think about AWP because I've been busy at work. It dawned on me a few days ago that AWP is only a week and half away. Last year I came back with so much loot (mostly books and journals) that I had to pay Northwest Airlines $25 because my suitcase was over 55 lbs. By the time I got home the zipper broke on my suitcase and I almost was ready to bust out a very large "manly knife" to rip it open so I could get to my booty. Fortunately a little TLC prevailed and I got my suitcase open without resorting to violence and destruction. The the suitcase wasn't mine, it was Brandon and Debbie's, which is another good reason I didn't tear it open.

This year I won't be flying. Marc Dickinson and I are taking a road trip to Chicago. I hope the weather cooperates. The three things I'm looking forward to the most: drinking with my friends, the AWP book fair, and the off-site readings on Friday night.

Of course, I've highlighted a few panels. I'd like to take advantage of the conference a little more this year. Last year Luke, BJ, and I stayed up later and later each night, and got up later and later each morning. It was awesome!

But this year I'm looking forward to arriving fully stocked: a cooler with beer, a trunk with spare beers to be added to the cooler when said cooler is empty, and a few bottles of single malt Scotch whisky (probably 12 Year MaCallan's). It truly will be Cartons and Kegs. Luke, BJ, Marc, myself, perhaps even Ron Sandvik, and anyone else who wants to join the party(s).

No comments: