Sunday, January 11, 2009

Why I Do It

I'm a horrible blogger. I often feel too busy to post regularly: kids, job, kids, wife, kids, more kids, I wish more wife (I love you Meg), more job, and somewhere in there I try to fit in some writing. But ultimately I think there may be another reason why I don't blog more regularly. The reason is an unanswered question: why do I blog or what's the point of blogging?

By reading numerous "poet blogs" I could probably reduce the purpose of blogging into 5 categories: gratuitous self-promotion, less gratuitous self-marketing, promoting poetry (with a subtle hint of wanting to gain notoriety or attention from said promotion), social networking, and poetic/aesthetic conversation (either civil or uncivil conversations about contemporary poetics or aesthetics; although I would lean more towards poetic conversations because most of the individuals referencing aesthetics are often describing personal preference and not a philosophy of art). So, lets re-cap the categories with bullets:
  • Gratuitous self-promotion
  • Less gratuitous self-marketing
  • Promoting poetry
  • Social networking
  • Poetic/Aesthetic conversation
I have no idea where I fall within these 5 categories. I suspect I have a little of each. But ultimately I hate self-marketing (it always feels gratuitous to me). I enjoy promoting poetry, I would like to network but dislike most people I meet, and I enjoy poetic/aesthetic conversations but find most of them long-winded, academic, and often misguided.

For example, I hate how poets refer to Ludwig Wittgenstein. I feel that, by and large, poets misinterpret Wittgenstein and use his work to support their own agendas, ideologies, aesthetics, etc. Also, most the time I don't give a fuck about the newest school of poetry that's developing or the newest literary theory or what so-and-so thinks about contemporary poetry because I would rather be reading and writing poetry than talking about poetry in such driveling, irrelevant ways.

Although I will say that Johannes Goransson's discussions and responses are very inclusive and non-dismissive. And Seth Abramson's discussions are lively and inclusive as well; although they are a little long-winded at times. Both of their blogs are refreshing and I'm not including either of them with my aforementioned comments.

So, why do I blog? I don't know why I blog which is why I'm having a difficult time finding a reason to continue blogging. Perhaps I need to follow BJ's lead and get more interesting. Perhaps I need to blog about more interesting topics which may provide more motivation and satisfaction from blogging. But alas, I have so little time and getting more interesting takes too much time.

I guess I'm just one of those guys. Tonight I'll be watching Arrested Development Season 3-the episode that exposes Mr. F. Of course, I already know who Mr. F is because tonight will be the third time I've watched Arrested Development Season 3.

4 comments:

Brandon Jones said...

I have asked around and have no idea who has my first and third seasons of Arrested Development. It's bumming me out.

Here is my highly intellectual suggestion for why you should blog: shits and giggles.

Jonathan Barrett said...

Shits and giggles. I'll have to add that as a sixth category. But it's hard to assess whether a bloggers intentions are shits and giggles though so its on the fringe of being a sixth category.

I'm sorry about your Arrested Development. Are you sure Grant and Paige don't have it? I have your Veronica Mars. This probably isn't much consolation.

B.J. said...

I can't believe one grown man just said to another grown man, "I have your Veronica Mars."

I don't know the point of my blog either...it was one thing, than it was another, but now it has devolved into the equivalent of an e-burp, an unexpected, occasionally violent and usually unpleasant reaction to what I've just ingested.

Are you going to drive to Chicago or are you flying?

I'm thinking of having a party one, maybe two nights over AWP here at the apartment. The nice thing is that the bus to get here has a stop right across from the PHH. The bad thing is that the bus stops at 1, so we'll have to figure out ways to get from A to B.

Jonathan Barrett said...

What can I say: (a) I do have his Veronica Mars Season 1 DVD and (b) I wanted to cheer Brandon up.

I love your description of your blog as an e-burp. I'm driving with Marc to AWP. The cost to drive seems more cost effective then flying. Short flights between KC and Chicago are pretty expensive and I figured Marc would probably drive instead of fly because flights from Des Moines to Chicago are even more expensive.

I would love to see and party where you live. We may have to exit early if we can't figure out point A to B. And I know neither Marc nor I nor you nor Luke will want to drive after a little partying.