Monday, January 19, 2009

Not-So Day Off

I had today off due to the fact that I work for a bank that observes Martin Luther King Jr. Day. But of course, since I work in the residential lending division, if I voluntarily choose to work...I can. So, its not a forced day off. So, I worked from 12:30-5 pm. I've been very busy recently and needed to catch up on some unfinished work.

*
Megan and I did not watch The Namesake last night. I talked to Luke Pingel on the phone. Megan was tired and didn't want to stay up late. So, she watched 30 Rock and ate cheese and crackers while I talked to Luke about football, AWP, poetry, and other stuff. I love talking to Luke. He sent me his thesis/manuscript in process. I'm reading it and enjoying it; its the first new work of Luke's I've read (new stuff meaning stuff that's been written in the last 12-18 months).

*
On another note, I've mentioned "The Great Purge of 2006" the other day. This over dramatic title refers to the winter of 2006 when I purged my entire library with the exception of approximately 20 poetry books. At the time I internally justified the purge with the following reasons: (1) I was buying too many books indiscriminately (i.e., lots of impulse purchases at Half Price Books or Barnes and Nobles) which was a waste of money, (2) I wasn't reading any of the books I purchased, (3) I was moving around a lot at the time and hated moving all of the books, and (4) the books weren't aesthetically appealing on my bookshelves (this last one is a little superficial and teeters on obsessive-compulsive). I probably rid myself of 750-1000 books (which may be a very conservative estimate).

From that time on I purchased books based on a couple of factors:
  1. To gain greater familiarity with contemporary poets and small presses
    • I do this by buying 5-7 books at a time from a specific press. I choose the books based on referrals from poet's blogs, choosing poets from the presses catalog that I'm familiar with, and referrals from friends. For example, I recently purchased a bunch of books from Ahsata's catalog and will probably purchase another slew of them because there are quite a few books that are on my "hit list."
    • If I find a poet I'm particularly fond of I'll purchase their other books even if they're not with the same press. For example, I really enjoyed Dan Beachy-Quick's True North, South Bright, which led me to purchase his Mulberry which led me to purchase 3-5 Tupelo Press books, which then led me to buy Spell and the aforementioned slew of books from Ahsatha Press.
  2. To non poetry and poetry books from publishers I admire
    • For example I love Library of America's hardbacks. There a little expensive but they'll last a long time and the publish beautiful books
    • New Directions for their affordable publications of marginalized poets, etc. both past and present
    • Routledge Classics for their gorgeous philosophy and religious texts. They're mostly British and European philosophers and religious thinkers but I think some of the best 20th Century philosophers and religious thinkers were from Europe: e.g., Simone Weil.
    • Penguins Classics for their affordable translations of European novelists...of course the more mainstream novelists but I don't give a fuck.
Well, this is a rather geeky method of collecting books but I'm kind of nerdy about books. The great thing has been that I read all the books I purchase before I purchase more (most the time). Of course I do regret some of the books I got rid of: I wish that still had Theodore Adorno's Aesthetic Theory and Walter Benjamin's The Arcades Project plus a few other poetry books but oh well.

4 comments:

B.J. said...

Speaking of wasting money on books (though not a complete waste) every book I've purchased in the last 2 months have been by poets teaching in the programs I've applied to. I had a lot of holes to fill for some schools, and relatively few for others.
Also, and don't go spreading this around, I buy books just because I feel they make my book collection more respectable...with no intent to read them ever. I won't tell who that is though.

Jonathan Barrett said...

I guess you can't say you're familiar with their work in your statement of purpose, etc. if you haven't read their work. How many books did you end up buying to familiarize yourself with the poets teaching in the programs you applied to.

By the way, I love secrets. Honestly, some of the Library of America and Routledge Classics I buy are mostly for the way they look on the bookshelf: they look uniform and orderly which I like because I'm a robot.

Brandon Jones said...

Look at all these confessions! I'm not sure I have any dark bookshelf secrets, but I did purge some of my books from the UNI days today. With books piling up around my desk, I decided I am probably not going to read Alexander Pope's poems anytime soon, so I made the trip to Half-Priced Books. The problem is I came home with two more graphic novels.

I am still a fan of good Norton Critical Edition. I have them grouped together on my bookshelf. The uniformity would bring a tear to your eye Jon.

CHARLAX said...

iff you allow comments why did yew delete mine you will never prosper now you will never learn poetry writing from a book its has to be a gift from GOD his SON